Family Immigration

Reuniting You with Your Loved Ones

We understand how difficult it is when you’re separated from your loved ones and trying to deal with a daunting and complicated immigration system. Let Karlin & Karlin counsel you through the legal aspects of filing your petition while you prepare to begin life as a family here in the U.S.

Our firm can provide you with experienced legal representation in different immigration situations, from advising on eligibility for family-based immigration to assisting you with paperwork and compliance situations. Depending on your situation and needs, we can help you obtain a nonimmigrant or immigrant visa for your loved ones.

Nonimmigrant Visa

There are two primary types of nonimmigrant family-based visas:

  • K-1 Fiancé/ee Visa: If your fiancé/ee is a U.S. citizen, he/she may qualify you for a K-1 visa that will allow you to enter the country to marry within 90 days. Once married, your U.S. citizen spouse may be able to sponsor you for an immediate relative green card. If you have minor children, they may qualify for K-2 visas and accompany you to the U.S.
  • K-3 Spouse Visa: If you are already married to a foreign-born spouse, your spouse may be eligible for a K-3 visa, which allows your spouse to join you more quickly in the U.S. If your spouse has minor children, they may be able to accompany their parent as K-4 visa holders.

Immigrant Visas

Foreign nationals may be eligible for a family-based immigrant visa if they have a direct relationship with an American citizen or permanent resident. These visas generally fall into one of two main categories.

  • Immediate Relatives, including spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens. This category also includes parents if the petitioner is over the age of 21. There are also special provisions for the spouses of deceased citizens. Unlike some immigration petitions, immediate relatives are never subject to annual quotas.
  • Preference Categories, which have annual quotas. First preference goes to unmarried adult sons and daughters and any minor children they may have. Second preference is reserved for spouses, minor children, and unmarried children of legal permanent residents. Third preference is for married children of U.S. citizens and their families, while fourth preference is for siblings and their families, provided the petitioner is over the age of 21.

At Karlin & Karlin, APLC, we take sincere satisfaction in seeing families reunited and settled in the U.S. We welcome the opportunity to assist you with your own immigration matter, so please call us 1-888-365-1555 or contact us.