- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
- Take photographs of the vehicles involved in the collision, roadway conditions and injuries sustained.
- Obtain contact information for all parties involved in the incident as well as those who witnessed it.
- Get prompt medical attention and follow your doctor’s instructions for treatment and care.
- Keep detailed records. This includes receipts for all injury-related expenses such as ambulance costs, emergency room and hospitalization costs, rehabilitation expenses, cost of medication, medical equipment, etc. Document lost work time and wages as well as other expenses you may have incurred as a result of the accident and injury.
- Discuss the facts or specifics of your accident or injuries without consulting your injury lawyer.
- Admit fault or offer any opinions regarding what might have caused the accident.
- Ignore your doctor’s advice.
- Sign any papers that could give insurance companies and defense counsel access to your medical records, financial records or any other personal information.
- Post information or photographs relating to your accident or injuries on a blog or social networking site such as Facebook or Instagram.
- Rush into a quick settlement without consulting your injury attorney.