Wrongful death lawsuits are designed to help family members recover after the loss of a loved one when their death was caused by someone else’s negligence. There is a great deal of grief and sadness following the death of a loved one. There is also likely the loss of their income, companionship, and support. These types of losses, as well as the financial losses associated with their death, may be recovered in a wrongful death lawsuit.
With the help of a Glendale wrongful death lawyer, you and your family can pursue financial compensation to help you in this time of sadness and difficulty. Our firm is here to support you in this difficult time.
Understanding Wrongful Death Law
California’s wrongful death law can be found in Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. A wrongful death action is appropriate when the decedent’s death is caused by a defendant’s negligence, gross negligence, recklessness, or intentional act. This permits certain family members to file an action for money damages related to the loss of their loved one.
Significant damages will likely occur for family members who have lost a loved one. This type of action is intended to provide compensation to the family members for the loss of their loved one following a wrongful act or omission by the defendant.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
State law limits the particular family members who may file a wrongful death lawsuit. Those entitled to file include:
- A surviving spouse
- Domestic partners
- Grandchildren (if deceased’s children are already deceased)
- Other minor children who are dependent for at least fifty percent of their financial support on the decedent
- Anyone else entitled to deceased’s property under state intestate succession laws
Depending on the surviving family members who wish to file, there may be limitations on who is entitled to seek funds.
Accidents That Lead to Wrongful Death
Several kinds of accidents may result in death, but certain catastrophic cases are more likely to cause fatal harm. These include, but are not limited to:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car crashes, truck accidents, or motorcycle crashes are common causes of death and may result in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Medical Malpractice: When medical staff makes a fatal mistake, a wrongful death action may be an appropriate avenue for recovery for the decedent’s family members.
- Defective Product Lawsuits: When a defective product leads to a person’s death, their family may be able to recover financial compensation against the manufacturer of that product.
- Work Accidents: Depending on the nature of the case, accidents that occur at work and cause death may be appropriate for a wrongful death lawsuit or another type of legal proceeding to collect compensation
If a family loses a family member in Glendale due to another person’s negligence, a wrongful death attorney may be able to help them recover money damages to help with the fallout that occurs.
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Glendale
The loss of a loved one is difficult enough without the economic difficulties associated with their loss. Successful plaintiffs may win compensation for the decedent’s lost income, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, and more.
An experienced Glendale wrongful death lawyer can help you navigate this complex area of law to seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today.